Deafness means a hearing impairment that is so severe that the child is impaired in processing linguistic information through hearing, with or without amplification that adversely affects a child’s educational performance. The child has:
- an inability to communicate effectively due to Deafness; and/or
- an inability to perform academically on a level commensurate with the expected level because of Deafness; and/or
- delayed speech and/or language development due to Deafness.
EvaluationThe characteristics identified in the Deafness Definition are present.
Evaluation of Deafness shall include the following:
- audiological evaluation;
- evaluation of speech and language performance;
- school history and levels of learning or educational performance;
- observation of classroom performance;
- documentation, including observation and/or assessment, of how Deafness adversely impacts the child’s educational performance in his/her learning environment.
Information shall be gathered from the following persons in the evaluation of Deafness:
- the parent;
- the child’s general education classroom teacher;
- a licensed special education teacher;
- a licensed physician or audiologist;
- a licensed speech/language teacher or specialist;
- other professional personnel, as indicated.